Manages a fast paced Human Resources department, supervising 2-4 hourly employees, overseeing administration of hiring, retention, termination, personnel records, legal compliance, compensation, training, benefits, and long-term staffing strategies. Responsibilities include development and administration of Human Resources policies and procedures, compliance with California labor law, compliance with federal rules and regulations, design of pay and job classification structure, and design of programs for employee training, safety, health, and morale.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Sets policies for hiring and oversees adherence to EEOC and affirmative action programs and diversity goals set by the corporation.
- Establishes policies that seek to increase retention rates and foster employee job satisfaction and high morale.
- Oversees maintenance of accurate and complete personnel records. Ensures that rules concerning confidentiality and retention are followed.
- Keeps abreast of legislation affecting human resources; trains management and monitors company policies to ensure compliance.
- Administration of benefit programs including CAL PERS, 403(b), 457, disability insurance, medical and life insurance. Compliance with Affordable Care Act (ACA). Implements new benefit programs; arranges and conducts employee information presentations and enrollments.
- Administration of unemployment program.
- Administration and tracking of FMLA, CFRA, PDL, and coordination of leaves with ADA requirements.
- Works with top management to set long-term staffing goals and strategies.
- Oversees training and safety programs in context of compliance with government regulation.
- Modifies, coordinates and conducts on-going New Hire Orientation, Food Handling, Harassment prevention, Defensive Driving, IT Security Awareness, and Customer Service training for new and current employees.
- Performs data verification audits in accordance with company procedures, seeks clarification, and informs manager of discrepancies.
- Assists with the planning, organization, development, implementation, and evaluation of department fiscal budget.
- Assists with communication of changes in personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper legal compliance.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with customers, coworkers, vendors, student organizations, faculty, staff, and University personnel.
- Responsible for ensuring continued compliance with all local, state and federal health, safety and employment laws and regulations.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Education, Training & Experience:
3-5 years management and/or Human Resources generalist experience in a similar role required. Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations or related discipline preferred. Human Resources Certification (PHR, SPHR, or extended studies) preferred. Experience in hospitality, retail, and/or food and beverage preferred.
Equivalent combination of education and experience considered.
Prior experience in training and development, benefits, AB1825, harassment prevention, on boarding, group facilitation skills, and measuring effectiveness in training preferred. Candidate must have a proven track record in successfully applying and managing core fundamental training and development programs (to include, needs assessment, instructional design, program development and evaluation), as well as a solid understanding of Adult Learning Principles and Theory. Intermediate practical knowledge of employee benefit plans including health, dental, pension, Affordable Care Act, flexible spending preferred.
Must be a self-starter and self-directed with the ability to determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Strong interpersonal skills in the areas of communication, writing, and organization. Strong ability to coach, influence, present, communicate, and problem solve. Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office product; specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Must be physically able to operate computers, copy machines, facsimile machines and other general office equipment such as a 10-key calculator. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; key pad or papers, book and reach with hands and arms. Employee is occasionally required to stand, walk. Must be able to move, lift or carry heavy objects or materials up to 10 pounds. Specific visual abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral visions, distance vision, and color vision for extensive reading and interpretation of reports and documents.
Please Fax or e-email Application/Resume to:
Fax: (619) 265-7504
Verification of Applicant Provided Information will be completed as part of the final hiring process
Back to Top